Learn to make a skirt that fits YOU! In this two-session class, you will create a custom-made muslin pattern for a simple skirt (either pencil or A-line) that can be used again and again to make many skirts future. In the second class you will use the pattern to make a skirt out of a fabric of your choice, and learn key sewing techniques like applying an invisible zipper and accurate hemming.
This class is very beginner friendly, but is also great for those who have some sewing know-how and want to learn a few fundamentals of patternmaking and accurate fitting.
Class time: 3 sessions, 2.5 hours each
Maximum class size: 6 people
- For the pattern: 2 yards of 45” wide muslin (Muslin is plain white cotton, and comes in bleached or unbleached form. Either one is fine. You can purchase this at a fabric store or at the studio for $3.50/yd)
- For the actual skirt: 2 yards of fabric of your choice. We recommend selecting fabric that is a medium to heavy weight woven, something that has some body to it and is not too transparent. You can line the skirt if you choose, but if you add a lining you may not be able to complete the skirt in the class itself, unless you do some sewing at home. For pencil skirts, fabric that is a little thicker or structured is ideal. For A-line skirts, more flexible cottons, linens, rayons, or polyblends work well so that the skirt has a little movement. If you plan to wash your fabric in the machine after it is made, please wash and iron your fabric before the class. If it will be dry-clean only, this is not necessary.
- ½” wide double fold bias tape in a color that matches your skirt fabric (this is used for the waistband)
- One invisible zipper in a color that matches your skirt fabric (get one at least 14” long…. or longer is fine as they can be easily shortened)
- Matching thread (1 spool is enough)
Prerequisites: Intro to sewing or knowledge of basic sewing machine operation
Please note that this class operates in a three-part sequence, so it is important that you will be able to attend all classes to gain the most from your experience. However, we will issue one Open Studio credit if you know you cannot make either the second or third class in the series (you cannot miss the first class). Please email us in advance to request a make-up credit.