|Images by Instructor Dennis McBride|
Put your dreams on paper! This six-part fashion illustration series will provide you with a broad, foundational understanding of illustrating apparel, (drape, construction style lines, and rendering various fabric textures), while developing skills, techniques, and purposeful expression. This is a mixed-level class, meaning there will be a combination of complete beginners and students who have taken previous fashion illustration classes and wish to deepen their skills. The instructor will be providing separate prompts to both groups at the beginning of the class, enabling students to work at the level that helps them grow the most. During the course of six weeks, you have a chance to explore the world of fashion illustration, learning:
- Drawing and utilizing the rough sketch
- Proportions of the fashion figure
- How to communicate concepts using the model, apparel, and “attitude!”
- How to develop your stylized and signature technique of illustration
- Ways to find inspiration
- Developing your own philosophy and style
- Introduction to careers in the industry
- Working with color and texture using pencils and paint
- Furthering skills of proportion and capturing pose
- Developing a stronger personal style
We will be using portions of the text Fashion Design Drawing Course by Carolyn Tatham & Julian Seaman, but it is not required that your purchase the book for the class.
Instructor: Dennis McBride
Class time: 6 sessions, 2 hours
Maximum class size: 12 students
Supplies required: One 11 x 14″ sketchbook. If you already have one you are welcome to bring your own, or one can be purchased from us at the time of the class for $10.
Prerequisites: You will gain the most from this class if you already have some experience with garment construction, so we recommend having taken Working with Patterns or basic knowledge of making clothing so that you understand the components of pieces.
Click on the calendar below for the next available series.